Popularity can be defined as “the state or condition of being appreciated, admired or supported by many people “and measured in a number of different ways. For this article, I will focus on three measures:
- “Maximum grossing” use the North American theatrical box office to measure how many people have seen the film.
- “Best Envoy “- Use of Met score (an average of the reviews of the best films, calculated from 100) to track the level at which the greatest film critics like and admire each film.
- “Most loved” – Using ID user ratings (out of 10) to track the level they like and admire individual movies.
How popular are the “Best Films” nominated for the Oscars?
We will begin with the three prizes for the films themselves – Best Film, Best Foreign Language Film and Best Animated Film. Now with the stream movies online options you will be having the best deals.
95% of all the films nominated for the ‘Best Film’ at the Oscars in the last fifty years have been among the 50 best reviewed films of their year. And the same figure applies to the best 50 films voted by ID users. However, only 27% was ranked in the top 50 at the US box office.
The best candidates for the film in a foreign language have similar levels of critical and public love (as seen in the chart below), but only 0.8% were in the top 50. Actually, there are only two films: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero.
Animated films are much more likely to have been in the highest-grossing cohort (61%), but much less likely to have criticism and appreciation from the public when compared to the other two categories. This is probably due to their higher budgets and therefore the need to make them cash in order to recover costs.
Do Oscar-nominated creative get their Academy from popular movies?
- Let’s move on to the key creative awards at the Oscars. We watched the films that gave directors, writers and actors their nominations.
- A similar model is seen to that of the best categories of films. Most major films are rare, while films loved by critics and the public are omnipresent.
99% of all films nominated for the best Oscar for the original screenplay were in the top 50 film critics of that year. The only three that have distinguished the trend were My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The Sixth Sense and Gladiator. From 123movies now you will be able to witness and experience all of them.